Those who receive scholarships or grants for international students offered by Taiwanese governmental agencies are not eligible to receive this scholarship. Any recipients of this scholarship found to be acting in violation of this rule will be disqualified from receiving this scholarship, and must return the funds they have already received.
US dollars to New Taiwan dollars is roughly 1:30 When issuing the scholarship, the amount of money will be given in NT$.
1. University Scholarship
1. Veritas et Conscientia Scholarship (VCS)
- Eligibility: Full-time PhD students in years 1-4 of their program
- Scholarship content: Recipients will receive a monthly stipend of NT$30,000, which includes NT$22,000 from the university and NT$8,000 from the recipients’ advisors; and the waiver of tuition fees, course credit fees, and basic fee rate for on-campus accomodations.
- Nominees do not need to submit any application documents for this scholarship. Potential recipients are to be nominated and to be selected as award recipients by the departments.
2. NCKU Distinguished International Student Scholarship
The NCKU Distinguished International Student Scholarship is classified into the following two categories:
For Undergraduate: The departments shall issue the scholarship to the admitted student base on the “NCKU Guidelines for the International Student Scholarship Program for Bachelor’s and Master’s Degree Students”. The amount of scholarship and number of recipients shall be determined by each department.
- Top 20%(included) will each receive NT$15,000 per month.
- Following 20% - 40% will each receive NT$10,000 per month.
- Accepted students will receive the waiver of the basic rate of on-campus accomodation fee (A scholarship recepient who chooses not to live in a on-campus will not receive any payment for the waiver of accomodation fee).
For Graduate: The departments shall issue the scholarship to the admitted students base on the "NCKU Guidelines for the International Student Scholarship Program for Bachelor's and Master's Degree Students" and "NCKU Guidelines for Distinguished International PhD Student Scholarships". The amount of scholarship and number of recipients shall be determined by each department. (monthly stipend for master recipients is up to NT$15,000, and for PhD students is up to NT$25,000).
- How to apply: The University International Student Admissions Committee will review the application documents to evaluate the scholarship opportunity for the first academic year. Applicants do not need to submit any additional application documents for this scholarship, and the award information will be mailed along with the admission letter. For the further academic years, the students have to apply again.
1. Students with an employment status on their ARC or a work visa are not eligible to receive any of the above scholarships.
2. Recipients who defer admission will be disqualified from the granted scholarship and reviewed again on the returning semester.
3. International Merit Students in Mathematics and Science Achievement Scholarship (Bachelor program applicants)
- Based on the NCKU Guidelines for Implementing the Internatinla Merit Students in Mathematics and Science Achievement Scholarship.
- This applied to foreign students and overseas compatriot students who won awards from an NCKU-designated "overseas mathematics and science competition" within three years prior to their admission into an NCKU undergraduate program.
- The Scholarship program will begin from the month when the recipient enrolls in NCKU and end when the recipient graduates, withdraws from NCKU, is suspended or expelled. The maximum period that any recipient may hold the Scholarship is four years for undergraduate programs. Those who study during their extended years of study are not eligible to apply for the Scholarship.
- Scholarship Categories and Amounts:
New students: Each recipient will receive a monthly scholarship for 12 months with an approved exemption of tuition and miscellaneous fees, as well as accommodation fees. Scholarship amounts vary with three levels as follows:
Level 1 (ranked in 1-15): a monthly scholarship of NTD$10,000.
Level 2 (ranked in 16-50): a monthly scholarship of NTD$5,000.
Level 3 (ranked in 51-75): a monthly scholarship of NTD$3,000.
4. NCKU Dept./ Inst. Scholarship Information
Various available scholarship provided by the dept./inst., the scholarship is subjected to change yearly, please refer to the latest Admission Prospectus for International Students, or you my contact dept./inst. directly for further information.
2. Off-campus Scholarship
1. Taiwan Scholarship
- This scholarship is offered by the Taiwan government (Ministry of Education, Ministry of Foreign Affairs & Ministry of Science Technology).
- How to apply: For application guidelines and forms, types of scholarship and quotas, as well as information regarding the selection process and outcome announcements, applicants may directly contact the relevant Taiwan Embassy or Representative Office. Please refer to the MOFA website for the nearest embassy or representative office.
- Scholarship program office website, please visit: http://taiwanscholarship.moe.gov.tw
- Important Requirement: For detailed required document (including language proficiency certificate), please refer to "Taiwan Scholarship Program Guidelines", article V. For scholarship guidelines, please vsit: https://taiwanscholarship.moe.gov.tw/web/pages.aspx?p=7
2. MOE Elite Scholarship
- Eligibility: Doctoral/Master's degree-seeking applicants who are currently university lecturers or professors.
(Fall admission applicants) South and Southeast countries in Indonesia, Philippines, Thailand, Vietnam, India, Malaysia, Singapore, Brunei, Myanmar, Cambodia, Laos, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Nepal, Sri Lanka, and Bhutan.
(Fall or Spring semester admission applicants) All African countries.
- Duration of Scholarships:
3 years (in Doctoral programs /reviewed annually)
2 years (in Master's programs /reviewed annually)
- Amount of Scholarship: NT$300,000 / year (Around US$10,000 / year)
- How to Apply: Complete and submit the admission application, those received admission candidates need to finish registraion with Registrar Division. OIA will provide the list of candidates to MOE for final reviewing.
- Required eligibility:
(1) An up-to-date lecturer certificate (English version), as in the employment certificate.
(2) To African applicants, please provide either an up-to-date Lecturer certificate or a three-year (or above) university Researcher Employment Certificate with research publications or papers.
3. International Cooperation and Development Fund (ICDF) Higher Education Scholarship Program
- The Taiwan ICDF has established the Taiwan International Cooperation Alliance (TICA) with its partner universities, setting up an operational platform under this TICA framework to manage and improve the scholarship program. NCKU has been cooperating with Taiwan ICDF from 2007 for the International Master's Programs in Civil Engineering and Management and Natural Hazards Mitigation and Management.
- How to Apply:
Applicants should complete Taiwan ICDF online application and submit the documents to the ROC (Taiwan) Embassy/ Consulate (General)/ Representative Office/ Taiwan Technical Mission or project representative in their country. Applicants must ensure that they submit accurate and complete documentation; failure to do so will result in the application not being processed. Please also note: Late submissions will not be accepted and/or processed.
4. Pilot Program Scholarship
- Scholarship supported and offered by National Science and Technology Council (NSTC)
- Recipient Eligiblity:
- First-year Ph.D. student enrolled in the first semester of one's current year (including registrations in February and September, 2024)
- Excluding (1) part-time students, (2) students with status from Hong Kong, Macau and Mainland China, (3) those who have applied for leave of absence and retained admission or not completing regirstration after admission, and (4) those who are concurrently in receipt of scholarship or subsidy offer by the ROC government.
- Application Period: September 15 (Fri) ~ October 16 (Mon), 2023
- Submisison Link: NSTC selection, applicants should log in the Academic Research Service Portal: https://www.nstc.gov.tw/?l=en within the specified period, and complete the online submission.
- Amount and Duration: Each fellowship recipient will be granted a montly sitpend of NT$40,000 for a period of up to 3 years. starting from the frist year of Ph.D. program. Stipend for thoase who graduate less than three years shall last until the month of graduation.
- Detailed pilot scholarship program information: https://oia.ncku.edu.tw/var/file/32/1032/img/918965540.pdf
5. E.Sun Bank ASEAN Scholarship
- Purpose: The E.Sun Volunteer & Social welfare Foundation (hereinafter referred to as the Foundation) promotes talent exchanges with ASEAN countries and encourages outstanding ASEAN students to come to Taiwan to study. With the purpose of cultivating outstanding talents of ASEAN with international professionalism and competence, the Foundation specially set up the E.Sun Bank ASEAN Scholarship.
- Eligibility: An applicant who holds a citizenship of Cambodia, Vietnam or Myanmar applies for a master's degree and is admitted to a partner school may apply.
- Scholarship amount: Awardee receives total NT$100,000 for one academic year, distributed in two semesters.
6. NCKU Butterfly-ASEAN Scholarship
- Purpose: With the purpose of cultivating outstanding talents of ASEAN with international professionalism and competence, the Vietnam Yongyuan Foundation invited Guangtai Metal Industry Co., Ltd. and Ronggang Material Technology Co., Ltd. to cooperatively support and provide the university's outstanding Vietnamese students with living allowances through this special establishment-NCKU Butterfly-ASEAN Scholarship.
- Eligibility: All degree students of NCKU who hold a Vietnamese nationality, with the exclusion of under the status of overseas Chinese students and who have held the Republic of China (ROC Taiwan) nationality.
- Requirements: Eligible applicants are those enrolled at NCKU as international students who have completed their first semester of study at NCKU and achieved both 80 or above of an average academic grade and conducting score in the previous academic semester.
- Number of awards: A maximum of 6 students per academic semester.
- Scholarship awardee receives a total of VND20,000,000 / NTD30,000 at once.
- Applicants shall submit an application to the International Student Affairs Division under the Office of International Affairs during the period from November 1st to November 30th in the fall semester, or during the period from May 1st to May 31st in the spring semester.
- For more application information, please refer to International Students Affairs website.
7. NCKU Industries Collaboration Scholarship
NCKU links with internationl companies in cooperating in the Cultivation to outstanding talents and provide internships or job opportunities, please refer to the latest Admission Prospectus for International Students, the scholarship is subject to change according to each program deadline.