*Each cost is estimated based on the minimum standard, and each cost will be increased by about 3%-5% annually.
*Currency Unit is New Taiwan Dollar (NT$).
A. Fees to be paid when registering each semester:
1. Tuition and Fees:
(1) University Department: NT$28,000 to NT$40,000 per semester (different for each college)
(2) Graduate School: Tuition and miscellaneous fees per semester are NT$11,400 to NT$14,670 (different for each college), credit fees are NT$1,600 to NT$9,000 (different for each college)
School Dormitory Fee: 3 to 4 person per room, 4 months per semester, NT$6,700 to NT$15,320 for university department (different for each dormitory), NT$10,070 to NT$15,730 per semester for postgraduate students (different for each dormitory), air-conditioning and electricity fees are charged separately, and winter and summer breaks are charged separately as well.
For more information please refer to: http://housing-osa.ncku.edu.tw/p/412-1052-2428.php?Lang=zh-tw
2. Medical Insurance Fee:
Student Group Insurance: NT$210 per semester (subject to change)
Overseas Chinese National Health Insurance: NT$4,956 (NT$826 * 6 months) per semester, NT$3,306 subsidy from the Overseas Chinese Committee (NT$551 * 6 months)
Other related information can be inquired on the school website.
B. Monthly meals and other living expenses (calculated based on the minimum standard)
1. Breakfast: each meal (NT$30 to NT$50) * 30 days = NT$900 to NT$1,500
2. Lunch and Dinner: each meal (NT$60 to NT$100) * 2 times * 30 days = NT$3,600 to NT$6,000
3. Other Expenses: NT$1,500 to NT$4,000 per month (laundry, daily necessities, leisure expenses)
4. Homework Fees and Material Fees (only charged in some departments): NT$50 to NT$300 each time (e.g. departments of the School of Design)
5. Class Uniforms, Department Uniforms, School Bags, etc. (only charged in some departments) NT$200 to NT$1,000
C. The cost of renting a house off-campus: at least NT$3,500 per month. The rent varies with the size, distance, and facilities in the area.
D. Book fee: NT$4,000 NT$6,000 per semester (different for each department, second-hand books are also available)
E. PC: NT$18,000 to NT$55,000 (laptop or desktop including monitor) there are free PCs in the Computer Network Center (計算機與網路中心), however, it will be better to have your PC.
F. Fees for overseas students to apply for documents during their return on winter and summer break.
1. Resident Visa / Multiple Entry Permit
Passports from Other Countries: NT$4,400
U.S. Passport: NT$3,200
Foreign Students: NT$1,000
2. Resident Certificate Validity Extension:
Alien Resident Certificate (ARC): NT$1,000 for countries except Taiwan, Hong Kong and Macau (valid for one year)
Taiwan Residence Permit: NT$300 for Taiwan (no household registration), Hong Kong and Macau (valid for one year)
Hong Kong and Macau students are also charged NT$2,600 for multiple entry permit.
3. Transportation Costs from Tainan to the Airport:
Kaohsiung Airport: Airport Shuttle NT$150
Taoyuan Airport: Taiwan Railway NT$500
Airline Ticket: Student discounts are available in some airlines.
1. Bicycles: Second-hand prices are NT$1,000 to NT$2,000. Some seniors often leave their bicycles to juniors when they graduate.
2. Motorcycle: The price of a second-hand motorcycle varies a lot. Once you have bought the one, we suggest checking whether it has a traffic accident record and unresolved accident cases. To ride a motorcycle, you must have a driver's license and wear a helmet.
The weather in Taiwan is relatively cold from November to February every year (about 12°C to 25°C), and sometimes will drop even less than 10°C during the cold snap. We suggest you to bring your own thick clothes or buy the one after the settlement.