I. Classification of Cooperation Agreements
(I). Memorandum of Understanding, Memorandum of Cooperation, etc.
(II). Exchange Agreement, Exchange Student Program Agreement, etc.
(III). Others: such as double (joint) degree program agreement, letter of intent for cooperation, etc.
II. NCKU Administration Process
When NCKU’s main organizing unit submits the draft of the cooperation agreement through the Official Document System, please also notify related administration units according to the program content of the agreement, as suggested below:
(I). Main NCKU Administration Units:
1. For general academic exchanges and cooperation that are applicable to the whole school, such as the preservation of overseas written agreements, student exchange programs, etc., please notify the International Relations Division, Office of International Affairs.
2. For the admission and counseling of international students, please notify the Overseas Students and Scholars Services Division, Office of International Affairs.
3. For the structure of the written agreement, the protection and assignment of intellectual property, authorization and legal advice, etc., please notify the Legal Affairs Division, Secretariat Office.
4. For degree conferral, credits waiver and transference, student status recognition and tuition payment, please notify the Registrar Division, Office of Academic Affairs.
5. For the needs of on-campus student dormitories at the department-level or college-level contracts, please notify the Housing Service Division, Office of Student Affairs.
(II) Other NCKU Administration Units:
1. For scholarships and other fundings, please comply with the regulations of the sponsor of the funding plan.
2. For the recruitment of faculty and researchers, please notify the Personnel Office.
3. For scientific research cooperation and industry-university cooperation programs, etc., please notify the Office of Research and Development.
4. For other unmentioned issues, please follow the suggestion and decision of the President or the secretariat units.
(III) NCKU Administration Units for Double (Joint) Degree Program:
1. For written contract structure and cooperation proposals, please notify the International Relations Division, Office of International Affairs.
2. For matters related to foreign double-degree students coming to the school, the application and admission methods of foreign double-degree students, please notify the Study Abroad Division, Office of International Affairs.
3. For matters related to double-degree students from China, please notify the Study Abroad Division, Office of International Affairs.
4. For matters such as registration management consultation, tuition and miscellaneous fees, certificate conferral, credit recognition, and implementation measures for the dual-degree education system, please comply with the "Implementation Measures for Dual Degree Programs between National Cheng Kung University and Overseas Universities and Colleges", please notify the Registrar Division, Office of Academic Affairs.
5. For credits waiver and transference of general education credits, please notify the Center for General Education.
6. For other unmentioned issues, please follow the suggestion and decision of the President or the secretariat units.
III. Proposal to sign a school-level cooperation agreement
The signing of academic cooperation agreements must be handled in accordance with the "Principles for Academic Cooperation Agreements Signed by National Cheng Kung University and academic/education/research institutions". The level of agreement preparation and signing includes school level, college level, department level, etc. The agreement signing units shall actively manage and coordinate bilateral cooperation. For an university-level cooperation agreement proposal, in order to clarify the cooperation type and substantive exchange projects, please submit the "Academic Cooperation Agreement Proposal Form between National Cheng Kung University and academic/education/research institutions" providing basic cooperation information and practical exchange content for the evaluation and follow-up by the Office of International Affairs.
IV、Precautions for Cooperation Agreements with Institutions from China
(I) Internal administrative procedures (official document)
Please refer to the "Principles for Academic Cooperation Agreements Signed by National Cheng Kung University and academic/education/research institutions". After receiving NCKU’s internal administrative approval, please submit an application to the Ministry of Education.
(II) Application and reporting procedure to the Ministry of Education (official document letter)
1. Please follow the latest revisions by the Ministry of Education of the “Key Points for the Review of Cooperation Behaviors between Schools at All Levels and Schools in China to Form Alliances or Written Agreements”. An official document letter should be submitted to the Ministry of Education one month before the expected date of signing. The signing could be conducted only if and after an approval from the Ministry of Education is confirmed. After the signing, the signed document should be reported to the Ministry of Education for verification and official completion of the entire signing process.
2. In accordance with the official document letter No. 1040064830 issued by the Ministry of Education on June 2, 2015, which is omitted in accordance with the provisions of Article 4-2 of the "Act Governing Relations between the People of the Taiwan Area and the Mainland Area", "The agreement referred to in this Statue means any written document involving the exercise of governmental powers or any matter of political issues." Therefore, please avoid using the word "agreement" as the title of the documents to be signed, and replace it with "treaty" for clarification.
3. In accordance with the "Regulations for the Recognition of Academic Degrees in the Mainland China Area" announced by the Ministry of Education, for students admitted to Taiwan for study after the contract signing, their study qualifications and subsequent entry matters should follow the regulations of “Procedure for Colleges/Universities to Apply for the Recognition of Students Admission from the Mainland China Area” in the official document letter No. 1010204341 issued by the Ministry of Education on November 9, 2012.
1. The school name should be the full title of the "National Cheng Kung University". The school title and signature of NCKU’s representative should be listed first.
2. All copies signed by NCKU shall be in regular (traditional) characters.
3. The agreement should be written in NCKU’s position. The NCKU’s signature shall be listed on the left, and schools from China shall be listed on the right.
4. The cooperation agreement at the college or department (institution) level must be implemented by the college or department, and cannot be proposed by individual faculty.
5. If the cooperation agreement involves research and development results, intellectual property rights, technical cooperation activities, etc., please follow Article 11 of “Key Points for the Review of Cooperation Behaviors between Schools at All Levels and Schools in China to Form Alliances or Written Agreements”.
6. The transfer of cooperation results (if included in the agreement) should follow the regulations of Article 35, Paragraph 1 of the "Act Governing Relations between the People of the Taiwan Area and the Mainland Area" and Article 5 of the "Regulations on the Licensing of Investment or Technical Cooperation in the Mainland Area" regarding cross-strait technical cooperation and the protection of related intellectual property rights.
7. If the cooperation is regarding academic seminars to be jointly hosted, the relevant cooperation behaviors, including the ownership of research results and the title of jointly published journals and papers, should be handled in accordance with the principle of reciprocity, dignity, and cross-strait regulations and related regulations, and the position shall be not be dwarfed.
8. According to the current exchange policy with schools in mainland China, "research and teaching faculty exchanges" are limited to general short-term guest lectures,, and should not involve the employment of our personnel in teaching or research positions. If research/study certification is involved in "student exchanges," please refer to the official document letter No. 1000036401 issued by the Ministry of Education on March 16, 2011.
9. Relevant announcement: On March 21, 2016, the Ministry of Education sent an official document letter reiterating that cross-strait inter-school exchanges should be handled in accordance with the "Act Governing Relations between the People of the Taiwan Area and the Mainland Area".
V. Reference Links
(1) Reference List of Foreign Universities and Colleges of the Ministry of Education
(2) List of Universities and Higher Education Institutions Accredited by the Ministry of Education in Mainland China