Jump to the main content block

Arrival Information

update date : 2022-07-22

How to be an International Scholar of NCKU

To inquire about being an International Scholar at NCKU, please directly contact the staff representative or a faculty member of the college/institute with which you are interested.

The following website provides a directory of all the Colleges and their Departments.


Contact Person in NCKU

To assist academic staff from overseas in making a smooth transition to live and work at NCKU, your main contact person at NCKU are the staff coordinators of the department where you are/will be working.

Should you need any kind of assistance, please communicate directly with your department’s designated contact person first.


Work Permit

According to Taiwanese labor requirements, all foreign nationals who intend to work in Taiwan should apply for a work permit. In order to do so, please refer to your department’s contact person.

Working Expats in Taiwan: http://ezworktaiwan.wda.gov.tw/

Workforce Development Agency: https://www.wda.gov.tw/en/default.aspx

The applicant can now apply for an account for online application on our website (https://ezwp.wda.gov.tw). Simply click “Work Permit for Foreign Professional Worker” to set up the account (“Foreign Professional Artist Work Permit” for freelance artist) , and then you can long in to submit the case, pay the application fee and check the status 24 hours a day.


Visa is the immigration license. You can apply for different kinds of visas according to the duration of your stay in Taiwan

VISITOR VISASForeign nationals, who hold ordinary passports or other legal travel documents and who intend to stay in Taiwan for no more than six months for the purposes of transit; tour; visit relatives; undertake visits; undertake inspection tours; attend international conferences; conduct business; pursue short-term study; undertake short-term employment; undertake short-term missionary work; or engage in other activities in the ROC as approved by MOFA.

RESIDENT VISASForeign nationals, who hold ordinary passports or other legal travel documents, who intend to stay in the Republic of China for more than six months for the purpose of uniting with family; pursue studies; undertake employment; invest; conduct missionary work; conduct official duties; participate in international exchange programs; or engage in other activities approved by MOFA or other relevant agency of the central-government.

Resident Visa holders are required to apply for the Alien Resident Certificate and Re-entry Permit at a local service center of the National Immigration Agency within 15 days of their arrival (starting from the next full day after their arrival date). They may stay in the ROC as long as the Alien Resident Certificate remains valid.

The Ministry of Foreign Affairs hereby announces the launch of the Republic of China eVisa Program starting January 12. The program is part of the ROC government's efforts to enhance its ICT infrastructure and simplify travel documents while enhancing security.

There is useful information on immigration and visa issues on NCKU webpage; however, we strongly advise international visitors to refer to the official informational website provided by the National Immigration Agency and Bureau of Consular Affairs, Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Republic of China (TAIWAN)

Tainan City First Service Center, National Immigration Agency, Ministry of the Interior

AddressNo.370, Sec. 2, Fuqian Rd., Tainan City

Mon. to Fri. 08:00-17:00



National Immigration Agencyhttps://www.immigration.gov.tw/5475/

Bureau Of Consular Affairs, Ministry Of Foreign Affairs, Republic Of China (Taiwan)https://www.boca.gov.tw/mp-2.html




內政部出入國及移民署: https://www.immigration.gov.tw/

外交部領事事務局: https://www.boca.gov.tw/mp-1.html

中華民國內政部移民署 台南服務處

地址: 臺南市府前路2370

星期一至星期五 08:00-17:00中午不休息





We have three guesthouses at NCKU, but not every scholar is eligible to secure a room/residence at these guesthouses. Eligibility depends on the scholar’s status at NCKU. Please confirm with your department’s contact person to know whether you are eligible candidate.

Guesthouses Description/Fees    


Guesthouse Name



Room Types

Number of person






Jing-Ye guest house








Dong-Ning guest house








Dong-Ning guest house








For more details, please refer to the following link: General Services Divsion

Work-related multi-room apartments for overseas short time visitors (Full-time Teacher):

This dormitory is for married overseas teachers (professors, assistant professors, associate professors and lecturers with Ph.D degree) within 1 year of returning to Taiwan. Maximum length of stay residing at the dormitory is 3 years (6 semesters)

For more details, please refer to the following link:

Office of General Affairs, Property Management Division

Hotels Near NCKU

Zenda Suites Hotel

The price per night of every kind of guest room (Updated: 2016/4/6)

Business Single Room


Business Suites


Deluxe Single Room


Deluxe Suites


Deluxe Twin Room




Address: No.2,Dasyue Rd.,East District. Tainan City 701,Taiwan
Tel: +886-6-275-8999

Shangri-La's Far Eastern Plaza Hotel

Address: 89 Section West, University Road, Tainan, 70146, Taiwan
Tel: +886-6-702-8888



National Health Insurance Administration (NHI)

The National Health Insurance (NHI) program in Taiwan, launched in 1995, has successfully provided universal and quality healthcare to the people at affordable costs. The program has been focusing on ensuring care for the socially and economically disadvantaged people, making sure that everyone is covered, and improving on healthcare quality.


Foreign Nationals from Hong Kong, Macau, China, or Other Countries who Reside in Taiwan with an Alien Resident Certificate (ARC) 

To have active insurance coverage is essential for everyone. If you don't have an ARC to apply NHI.please contact your NCKU contact person to enroll in other insurance programs.

National Health Insurance Administration (Southern Division)
Address: No. 96, Gongyuan Rd., Jhongsi District, Tainan City (70006)
Tel: (06)224-5678
National Health Insurance Administration


How to get to Tainan

There are two main international airports in Taiwan: Taoyuan International Airport (TPE) and Kaohsiung International Airport (KHH).

Passengers Arrived at Taoyuan International Airport:

There are three ways to get to Tainan:


(Click to view larger image)

Passengers Arrived in Kaohsiung International Airport:

(Click to view larger image)

(1) By train

After getting off at Tainan Station, take the rear exit (University Road), and the campus of Kuang-Fu will be on the left side of University Road.

(2) By High Speed Rail

If you arrive at Tainan Station by Taiwan High Speed Rail (THSR), you can take the train to THSR Shalun Station from the second floor of Tainan Station or Exit 1 of the first floor lobby.

The Tainan Railway Station is about 30 minutes away and it takes about 20 minutes to reach the station; National Cheng Kung University is just a short walk from the rear station of the Tainan Railway Station.

(3) Useful information link:

(4) Google Map Information

(5) Location Map of National Cheng Kung University



Click Num: