Guidelines for Signing Academic Collaboration Agreements between National Cheng Kung University and other Academic, Education, and Research Institutions
Approved in the 111th Administrative Meeting on October 27, 1989
Amended in the 124th Administrative Meeting on September 21, 1994
Amended in the 126th Administrative Meeting on September 23, 1995
Amended in the 156th Administrative Meeting on November 3, 2007
Amended in the 162th Administrative Meeting on November 24, 2010
Amended in the 172th Administrative Meeting on May 14, 2014
Amended in the 215th Administrative Meeting on December 21, 2022
1. National Cheng Kung University (hereinafter “the University”) has enacted these guidelines to regulate the signing of academic collaboration agreements (hereinafter “Agreements”) and other academic, education, and research institutions (hereinafter “Institutions”) to facilitate academic collaboration and exchanges between both parties.
2. In these guidelines, Agreement refers to a written agreement on a consensus, commitment, or agreement on an alliance or academic research exchange or collaboration following the negotiation of various units of the University with the Institutions.
3. The academic collaboration and exchange projects shall be based on the needs of the academic research collaboration between both parties, and shall be proposed following evaluation by relevant units of the University.
4. The responsible unit shall coordinate matters regarding signing and subsequent implementation following the proposal of the Agreement. The responsibilities are divided as follows:
(1) University-level: School-level or intercollege (two colleges or more) overseas agreements shall be handled by the Office of International Affairs (OIA). First-level administrative unit agreements shall be handled by said unit. If the main contract, accessory contract, or by-law in the Agreement references the collaboration projects of a specific college or department, the project shall be executed by said college or department.
(2) College-level: College agreements or cross-department or -unit agreements within a college shall be handled and executed by said college or its designated department or unit.
(3) Department-level: Department-level agreements shall be handled and executed by said department.
(4) Center-level: Agreements of units such as university hospital or research centers shall be handled and executed by said unit.
5. Except for collaboratory relationships for special needs, agreements enacted between various units of the University and Institutions must meet the following principles:
(1) Both parties shall have equal and reciprocal exchanges.
(2) The Institutions shall possess a certain academic status that will help enhance the University’s development and be willing to undergo joint collaboration.
(3) Based on the level and content of collaboration between the two parties, the relevant unit shall have a dedicated unit or personnel monitor the execution.
(4) Signing of agreements with institutions in Mainland China should be conducted in accordance with relevant laws and regulations.
6. The content of the draft agreement shall be reviewed by the responsible unit, and the following terms should be stated:
(1) Name of the contract unit and collaboration level.
(2) The content should be specific and include the following:
i. Collaboration projects, such as faculty exchanges, student exchanges, joint research projects, and dual-degree programs.
ii. Principles of funding for both parties.
(3) The Agreement should be written in Chinese or English, both of which have the same effect. Chinese or English shall be used as the definitive language in the event of discrepancies in interpretation if necessary.
7. The responsible unit shall follow the procedure below to report the signing of an Agreement. However, special circumstances approved by the President shall not be subject to the same limitations:
(1) University-level: After the Agreement is reviewed by the responsible unit and approved by the President, it is then signed by the President.
(2) College-level: After being reviewed by the responsible unit, the Agreement is submitted to the college-related academic meeting for approval, after which the Agreement is approved by the President, it is then signed by the designated representative.
(3) Department-level: After being reviewed by the responsible unit, the Agreement is submitted to the department-related academic meeting for approval, after which the Agreement is approved by the President, it is then signed by the designated representative.
(4) Center-level: After being reviewed by the center supervisor, the Agreement is submitted to a center-related meeting for approval, after which the Agreement is approved by the President, it is then signed by the designated representative.
8. The responsible unit shall inform the relevant units when submitting the Agreement draft.
9. When signing an agreement with Institutions in Mainland China, the University shall complete the reporting procedure before filing an application to the Ministry of Education in accordance with the “各級學校與大陸地區學校締結聯盟或為書面約定之合作行為審查要點” 1 month before the agreement is signed. The agreement shall only be signed after review and approval by the Ministry of Education.
10. All units in the University shall, after signing any Agreement with foreign Institutions, submit a photocopy of the agreement and request approval as well as relevant information to the Division of International Relations of the OIA for filing. The same applies to contract renewals or terminations.
11. Notifications regarding handling Agreements with foreign Institutions in these guidelines shall be enacted by the OIA.
12. These guidelines are in force following their approval in the administrative meeting. The same procedure shall apply to any further amendments.